Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Flipback books, hot or... what?!

One of my favourite indie bookstores tweeted the other day that they'll be getting the revolutionary new "flipback books" into their store in a month or so and then linked to this website. Apparently these books are the new new way of the future (since Ebooks are the new way of the future) because their slim size and sideways style print means that they're the size of a mobile phone and much easier to carry around than your regular size books. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it revolutionary but there are a few decent titles now available in this format so perhaps when they arrive in store I'll take a look and see if they're worth all the hype. Here is the promotional video they're showing on their website, take a look and see what "readers" think about it.

So what do you think? Clever bit of ingenuity to try to accommodate to the changing lifestyles of readers or simply a desperate attempt by the publishing industry to compete with the ebook market (as some Youtube commentators seem to think)?

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think it would be cumbersome to read books made in this format. It might be smaller and easier to carry, but if it's difficult to hold and read, I'm not sure that it's a good change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I don't think it will take. Reeks a little of desperation to me. Something similar was tried a few years ago. Books were miniaturised into what looked like cigarette packs. Funnily enough that didn't take either. They used a good book to advertise it mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books to look like cigarette packs? What a weird idea! I think I'd have real trouble reading it in this format because it goes against every way I've ever read a book. I'll check them out for real and report back!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...