Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mini Graphic Novel Review #12: For the bookish types

Fables Volume #1

Written by: Bill Willingham, illustrated by: Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, Craig Hamilton, James Jean.

Published: 2002

My Thoughts: Before Once Upon a Time and Grimm hit the TV, Fables was doing the same thing, but better. After being pushed out of their homelands by "the adversary," the fabled fairy tale characters we (think we) know and love move into our world to live among "the mundane". This first volume deals with the disappearance of Rose Red, notorious party-girl and sister of Snow White. On the trail is Mr (The Big Bad) Wolf as he hunts out her kidnapper and/or murderer. It gets a little procedural at times, but I am psyched to see where the series heads - I think it could become a new favourite. Revisioned fairytales are the shit.



Kill Shakespeare Volume #1

Written by: Conor McCreery and Anthony Del Col, illustrated by: Andy Belanger

Published by: 2010

My Thoughts: I've seen a lot of Shakespeare's plays converted into graphic novels, but I've never had much of a desire to read them. They're plays - I'll watch them thank you very much. But this...ohhhhhh boy, I super love it. Thank you Mister Comic-Book-Guy for suggesting it.  It takes the more interesting and better known villains and heroes of Shakespeare's work and transplants them into a world where Shakespeare is either a god or a wizard and both the villains and the heroes want to find him and it just so happens that Hamlet is the key. Like Fables, it takes stories we know and love and gives them a bit of a shake up. I can't wait to get onto the next issue.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...