Thursday, May 15, 2014

Graphic Novel mini-reviews #20

Annihilation (Volume 1)

Written by: Keith Giffen, Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning; Illustrated by: Mitch Breitweiser, Scott Kolins, Ariel Olivetti, Kev Walker

Published: 2007

My Thoughts: Annihilation was my follow up after reading Guardians of the Galaxy: Legacy. Rather than deal with the entire group this focuses on Drax The Destroyer, the big green murderous man who has everyone shaking in their boots. I found this a little harder to get into because there were 2 or 3 characters who looked very similar to Drax, and without a solid understanding of the Drax character I didn't feel like I could always spot which was Drax and which was a villainous alien prison escapee. The plotting was a little unsteady, but I enjoyed the sassy young girl who gets involved and becomes both a comfort and a thorn in Drax's side. I don't know if I'll keep on with this particular comic though, maybe I'll see how I go with the film when it comes out and go from there.


Hawkeye: Little Hits (Volume #2)

Written by: Matt Fraction; Illustrated by: David Aja, Francesco Francavilla, Steve Lieber, Jesse Hamm.

Published: 2013

My Thoughts: I was a Hawkeye convert when I read the first volume but this was wasn't quite as brilliant as the first. The humour, sharp writing and gorgeous illustrations were still there but I found the story (which flips back and forward between different stories and timelines) to be a little confusing and hard to keep track of. It should probably be said that according to the Goodreads synopsis this confusion seems to be intended, but it pulled me out of the fun and I really had no idea what was going on, what was a flashback and what was made-up. Not a deal breaker though, I'm still looking forward to reading Fraction's take on this character. Also of particular interest was a breakdown post-comic about the colouring choices in Hawkeye - really fascinating look behind the comic.


Captain Marvel: In Pursuit of Flight (Volume #1)

Written by: Kelly Sue Deconnick; Illustrated by: Dexter Soy, Emma Rios

Published: 2013

My Thoughts: LADIES! This comic is for the ladies, by the ladies and about the ladies, and it's brilliant. Not only is it funny, smart and well written/drawn, but the interactions between the male and female characters are refreshingly realistic. It's a feminist superhero story without being overtly feminist in nature. It's a glimpse at what all comics should be like, where super women are held on par with super men. Captain Marvel is an interesting first volume, CM deals with taking over from two mentors, a time-travel plot (that everyone hates but just has to get through) and life-threatening illness of a close friend. it's a perfect mix of superhero and regular shmoe and I can't wait to read more of what Kelly Sue Deconnick serves up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...