Friday, August 1, 2014

Graphic Novel Mini-Reviews #21


Sex Criminals (volume 1)

Written by: Matt Fraction; Illustrated by: Chip Zdarsky

Published: 2014

My Thoughts: I was on the hunt for some new comics to get into from the ground up and I came across this little number from Matt Fraction, writer of Hawkeye and The Five Fists of Science. It's an interesting little story, absolutely unlike anything else I've read. Suzie and Jon are two very unique people. Unique because each have the power to stop time when they climax, and enter into a space (The Quiet for Suzie and something less PG for Jon) where they are able to escape from the stresses and problems of their daily lives. It's a brilliant story, raunchy, funny, bizarre and also kinda sweet. It's part love story, part journey to self-discovery, part heist story. And it looks like it's only going to get wilder and stranger as it continues.


Pretty Deadly (Volume 1)

Written by: Kelly Sue DeConnick; Illustrated by: Emma Rios, Jordie Bellaire.

Published: 2014

My Thoughts: Is there anything Kelly Sue can't do? (no)
Pretty Deadly is...pretty deadly*. It's a gorgeously written and drawn western with shadess of magic realism and a general dream-like quality that is to die for. It's part Aesop's fable, part Neil Gaimanesque modern fairytale, part brutal reality of life in the frontier. Anyway, it's about a lot of things, but boiled right down it's a story about Death and his daughter Deathface Ginny. It's a tale of retribution and origins and ugh, have I mentioned I loved it? Also, am absolutely going to Halloween dressed as Deathface Ginny this year (and next year, and the year after).



Nowhere Men (Volume 1)

Written by: Eric Stephensen

Published: 2013

My Thoughts: How could I resist a comic book that sets out as and answer the question: What would happen if we treated our scientists like rockstars? This comic seemed like it was tailor-made for me and my tastes but it fell a little flat for me. The basic story (4 'rockstar' scientists form a company together, do mad science, gain a lot of attention, maybe do some shady dealings) is solid as is the questions it raises about ethics and responsibility and scientific credibility but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. There are a lot of shifts in time and place, as well as switches between different stories that eventually collide and I just couldn't keep on top of it all. I'm willing to give the next volume a shot just in case it was a matter of Stephensen getting into a rhythm but I'm not holding out hope that I'll love it. The volume does get bonus points for all of the Beatles references though.






*as in awesome/fantastic/great/how-the-fuck-is-this-even-real.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...